Tuesday, September 25, 2007

n*ggas slept HARD



#1 complaint: "yo this shit is boring why is it so laid back?"

this shit knocks yo...i didnt realize how much i listen to this until i picked the cd up and realized it came out in 2005. i bought it the day it dropped and i didnt even know it was dropping, i just went to fat beats because the designeriknow fwmj told me he was going to kevs in store and i said id roll with him. its roughly 2 years old and ive never stopped "casually throwing it on" so that must mean this is one of my favorite albums right? wow...this is like an intervention "von...we wanted to talk to you. weve noticed you listen to this album a lot. von...its one of your favorite albums youre not just casually playing it. its been 2 years von"

not that this is some guilty pleasure shit at ALL, i just never get to talk about it because when i tried when it dropped folks were like "its too laid back sleepytime blah blah" this shit is heat. if "say sumthin" is laid back to you, you must listen to "bombs over Baghdad" all day. the majority of the album knocks like a muhfucka and on some producer shit for him to make a whole album with basically the same (sampled) instruments is ill to me. thats like having an electronic band. the whole album is drums and strings.

moral of the story is...if you can listen to fantastic vol 2 then you cant say "i do what i do" is too laid back. sometimes i think im losing my mind because im hearing heat and other people dont hear the heat???? YOU DONT HEAR THE HEAT???? sheesh...

4 comments:

Remot said...

aaahhhhhhhhhh

this album is just... out of control (no 50). It's stayed in heavy rotation since i got it around last Christmas, and I'm right with you, cuz based on the number of plays this has to be one of my favorite albums, period.

"if "say sumthin" is laid back to you, you must listen to "bombs over Baghdad" all day. "

^ lol word it's like did these cats even peep "Struggla's Theme???" THAT IS THE MOST GUTTER SHIT I'VE HEARD IN YEARS. Best "struggler's track" possibly of the 2000's (in the midst of many others lol). Grap's best verse he ever spit too.

tell tale sign that this album is addictive is how many times i play "Life's a Gamble," which is a 15 minute suite that also has "Allways." I'll play that straight through over and over. Don't get me started on the little outro beats. it's like crack lol

basically this is a modern classic. i cycle through a lot of hop, and yet i always find myself returning to I Do What I Do. matter fact i think i'll bump it right now lol

Anonymous said...

This entry convinced me to go back and check this album soon, but I definitely was a part of the "This is overhyped and boring" crowd.

Donald Williams said...

yeah this is one of my favorites too

Antonio said...

The person that posted before me must have gotten the wrong address...
anyway, I Do What I Do is banging.
Kev is a very good producer and he deserves a big break.

Peace from Italy

A.

Me

My photo
I'm Von Pea. I blog, but you wont get to know me.

Blog Archive